For those of us who are constantly busy and running on tight schedules, those rare moments when we can spare half a day to get away into the woods usually come upon us quickly! I always have a day pack filled with essentials for a day hike on my porch, next to my hiking shoes and trekking poles. This way, when the moment comes, I can put on my shoes, toss my gear in the car, and run off to the woods. Here is what I always have on hand:
1) 2-liter Camelbak, filled before leaving the house.
2) Hiker first aid kit: Mine includes ibuprofen, emergency Aquamira Drops in case my filter doesn’t work, a lighter, Gold Bond Powder, Carmex, and duct tape. I also keep a headlamp with fresh batteries in the same bag.
3) My Sawyer Mini filter. This thing is a beast - it’s fast, it’s easy, and it has never once failed me.
4) Hiker snacks. Obviously, these need to be changed out/replenished every once in a while, but I always have hiker-friendly trail foods in my house.
5) Rain gear. I am a huge fan of The North Face’s Venture. I’ve now owned two of these coats and I’d never wear anything else.
Do you keep gear packed and ready for your next short adventure? What pieces do you never leave without? Leave me a comment or connect with me on Facebook to talk about your favorite gear!